[Mongrel] Mongrel hangs, consumes all CPU on shutdown

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Sep 12 21:39:30 EDT 2007

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:04:11 -0700
Pete DeLaurentis <pete at nextengine.com> wrote:

> We see this on all of our Mac's here as well.  We've tried it with
> different versions of Ruby (1.8.4, 1.8.5, and 18.6), and the problem
> happens with all of them.
>
> If we don't forget to turn off mongrel before walking away from the
> computer for a few minutes... it'll consume all system resources and
> we'll need to restart the machine.  Our production servers are Ubuntu
> and run fine, but it's pretty annoying for development, and odd since
> Mac's are some popular for Ruby development.

Hmm, when I saw it was with 1.8.4 I immediately thought it was to do with the cgi.rb file upload problem.

Here's the description so you can see if it's related (and can google for it):

When you do a file upload the cgi.rb code does this nasty regex backtracking looking for mime boundaries.

In some cases it screws this up--especially with firefox--so that when it gets to the end it needs the EOF to make it stop.

But, when you use a StringIO you don't get an EOF so the cgi.rb code will go into an infinite loop.

Does any of that give you some clues?

--
Zed A. Shaw
- Good: http://www.zedshaw.com/