[Mongrel] Mongrel hangs, consumes all CPU on shutdown

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 18:34:36 EDT 2007

On 9/12/07, Nathan Vack <njvack at wisc.edu> wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2007, at 4:57 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:
>
> > What db engine/adapter are you using? Maybe mongrel is trying to close
> > pending connections left in the limbo (from HTTP serving or db
> > connections).
>
> I'm using the compiled mysql gem 2.7, connecting to localhost over
> TCP. Web-side, I'm using mod_proxy and mod_rewrite -- yeah, I'm
> proxying on my development box.
>
> I don't think it's waiting to close HTTP connections, as the service
> never becomes unresponsive, and I'm only running one mongrel. Perhaps
> the database disconnect call sometimes thrashes?

Just to be sure, starting mongrel, waiting a few seconds and then
hitting ^C produces the same result?

Changing database.yml to something like sqlite3 produces the same behavior?

> FWIW, I'm on an Intel (Core 2 Duo) mac. It only eats CPU on one core.
> Mysql version is 5.0.21 -- the precompiled one from mysql.org.

Oh, too common with Intel Core technology (and single-threaded ruby VM) ;-)

> And... I doubt *anyone* is connecting to a mysql server over http ;-)

hehehe, hope not!

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems