[Mongrel] multi threaded theoretically useful?

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Sat Sep 8 18:50:34 EDT 2007

On Sep 08, 2007, at 11:19 pm, Erik Hetzner wrote:

> It is my belief that in general with a threadsafe mongrel app you are
> going to find that the best system is one that combines multiple
> processes to take advantage of multiple cores & of preemptive
> multitasking and multiple threads to take advantage of lower memory
> consumption and the faster context switching which ruby should
> provide.

Like I touched on in my last post, this is the strategy that Erlang
takes, right?  (They seem to have the concurrency problem solved.)
My immediate interest here is mainly lower memory consumption.  The
server (read - dirt cheap PC) I just bought "only" has 1GB RAM, and
will only hold 2GB.  Simply because I can't afford to go and buy
anything bigger right now, I'd like to know I don't have to waste RAM
running a shedload of 50-200MB processes.

> Obviously everything depends on (a) your code, (b) your ruby
> implementation, (c) your os’s scheduler, and (d) the phase of the
> moon

True.  Lycanthropy is not conducive to good software development.

Ashley