[Mongrel] multi threaded theoretically useful?

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Sat Sep 8 17:53:27 EDT 2007

On Sep 08, 2007, at 10:02 pm, Kirk Haines wrote:

> Ramaze is also a nice, multithread-safe
> framework that merits some attention.  It is kind of like Nitro's
> Merb.  Inspired by Nitro, but lighter weight, reasonably fast, with
> some good ideas in it.

That one had passed me by.  Thanks for the heads up!

> With Rubinius (or JRuby) it is not the same issue because they are
> using OS level threads.

I appreciate that the issue is different with JRuby, since what
matters there is whether the Java libraries are thread-safe (although
I saw this week a project to give JRuby access to C libraries using
JNI, name escapes me).

As for Rubinius, I figured it is in the same position as the Apache
web server, where you can't use the worker MPM if you want to load
thread-unsafe modules or modules that depend on thread-unsafe
libraries (eg mod_php).  And I guess Rubinius still has the option of
going the Erlang way of mapping N(requests) green threads onto N
(cores) OS threads.

Please forgive and wildly incorrect statements I may have made...
concurrent programming isn't something I know much about, mainly
because I've avoided it due to the mind-boggling complexity of it
(well, of threads).

Ashley