[Mongrel] multi threaded theoretically useful?

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Sat Sep 8 12:39:37 EDT 2007

On Sep 07, 2007, at 11:34 pm, Kirk Haines wrote:

> Whether all of Rails is actually threadsafe, and whether one's code
> is....that's another thing, but it's easy to run Rails in multiple
> threads under Mongrel if one wants to play with that.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here use Nitro?  I'm going to
switch from Rails to Nitro for one of my own projects.  I've heard it
runs happily multi-threaded.  Anyone noticed any difference in
performance?  (Or for that matter, with other frameworks that run
multi-threaded like Camping and Merb?)  To my knowledge, the only
apps big enough for scalability to be a serious issue are all in Rails.

Also, this thread has answered the question I've wondered lately,
namely that MRI can't context switch if one thread is in a C
extension like a database adapter?.  Will Rubinius go any way to help
this, assuming the adapter is re-entrant?