[Mongrel] Fails to restart mongrel cluster after Capistrano rollback (PIDs not deleted)

Casper Fabricius casper at lol.dk
Fri Sep 7 03:30:23 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am deploying a Rails website using Capistrano to a VPS running the
site through Apache and Mongrel.

'cap deploy' works fine, and mongrels are restarted. When I execute
'cap deploy:rollback', however, my script fails to restart the
mongrels giving this error:
!!! PID file tmp/pids/mongrel.5000.pid already exists.  Mongrel could
be running already.  Check your log/mongrel.5000.log for errors.

I have a hunch that the error is related to the fact that I link /tmp/
pids into the shared directory upon each release in the
"after_update" task, but I'm not sure how I end up with this problem,
as the old dir I'm rolling back also has the link setup. The mongrels
are stopped, but for some reason they don't clean up their PID files,
and thus they fail to start again.

The full output of the rollback looks like this:
http://pastie.caboo.se/94602

My deploy.rb looks like this:
http://pastie.caboo.se/94600

Any help on this issue would be appreciated - thanks!

Best regards,
Casper Fabricius