[Mongrel] Mongrel 1.0.2 on Ubuntu Feisty

Andrei Maxim andrei at andreimaxim.ro
Sat Oct 27 19:18:22 EDT 2007

Hi everybody,

I've been trying to setup a Ruby on Rails application on a Ubuntu Feisty
machine and I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out why Nginx and
mongrel_cluster weren't working. The setup was correct (based on some
tutorials found on the internet), but there weren't any pid files for the
mongrels started.

In case anybody else has experienced the same problem, it seems that `gem
install mongrel` will install version 1.0.2 (which is rather strange since
there isn't such a version on Rubyforge, it's either 1.0.1 or 1.0.3) which
is broken. I found a typo in configurator.rb on line 63 where instead of
target_gid it was just target_id. Forcing version 1.0.3 fixes the problem.

However, I'm wondering why v. 1.0.2 gets installed. Any ideas?

Andrei Maxim