[Mongrel] Automatic Scaling

Jeremy Wilkins jeremy at ibexinternet.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 06:59:42 EDT 2007

On 22 Oct 2007, at 17:45, Kirk Haines wrote:

> On 10/22/07, Jeremy Wilkins <jeremy at ibexinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've got an app which will only be dealing with a few requests a
>> minute for most of the time, then will shoot up to a continuous 20
>> req/s for an hour at a time. We'll potentially be running a lot of
>> instances of this app on the same server.
>
> How fast is your app?  How many mongrels do you figure you need to
> handle that volume?

Hopefully very fast - I'm aiming to get it down to 1 or 2 database
queries per (ajax) request, with just a small amount to text being
sent back. We're currently planning this part of the so don't have
any stats yet. My concern is that it will probably be being hosted on
our existing (heavily loaded) PHP server till the clients needs
enough instances to justify their own server.

>> Is there any way to have additional instances of Mongrel be started
>> when the existing instance(s) stopping being able to handle the
>> volume of traffic. I could preload adequate instances to cope with
>> peak traffic but that will result in a lot of instances sitting idle
>> for the majority of the time.
>
> I am working on something that will do exactly that.  It's not ready
> for public consumption, but it will permit one to have a mongrel
> cluster that self adjusts to the load it is receiving, with real time
> reporting of cluster status.

Sounds very interesting - I'm pretty new to all this but this seems
to be one area where FastCGI (and I presume SCGI) has significant
advantage over the mongrel cluster approach. How long do you
anticipate it will take to develop your solution (just curious - I
know its a when its done thing).

Thanks

jebw