[Mongrel] Automatic Scaling

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 12:45:30 EDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Jeremy Wilkins <jeremy at ibexinternet.co.uk> wrote:

> I've got an app which will only be dealing with a few requests a
> minute for most of the time, then will shoot up to a continuous 20
> req/s for an hour at a time. We'll potentially be running a lot of
> instances of this app on the same server.

How fast is your app?  How many mongrels do you figure you need to
handle that volume?

> Is there any way to have additional instances of Mongrel be started
> when the existing instance(s) stopping being able to handle the
> volume of traffic. I could preload adequate instances to cope with
> peak traffic but that will result in a lot of instances sitting idle
> for the majority of the time.

I am working on something that will do exactly that.  It's not ready
for public consumption, but it will permit one to have a mongrel
cluster that self adjusts to the load it is receiving, with real time
reporting of cluster status.

Kirk Haines