[Mongrel] Automatic Scaling

Jeremy Wilkins jeremy at ibexinternet.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 11:57:41 EDT 2007

I've got an app which will only be dealing with a few requests a
minute for most of the time, then will shoot up to a continuous 20
req/s for an hour at a time. We'll potentially be running a lot of
instances of this app on the same server.

Is there any way to have additional instances of Mongrel be started
when the existing instance(s) stopping being able to handle the
volume of traffic. I could preload adequate instances to cope with
peak traffic but that will result in a lot of instances sitting idle
for the majority of the time.

Does anyone have any experience of SCGI? I know that FastCGI will
start loading additional app instances after a certain threshold -
does SCGI behave the same.