[Mongrel] POST with huge HTTP body

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Oct 16 01:57:56 EDT 2007

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 07:37:57 -0700 (PDT)
Tim Kuijsten <kuijsten at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Since a vanilla Mongrel will store uploaded data on disk in a tempfile, maybe it has something to do with your Railsdav plugin?

Yes, I believe this is true as well.  Railsdav pretty much blows.  My experience with it is that none of the windows clients work well (all three) and it did some stupid stuff like used send_file in rails and processed the whole file on input.

Ehem, there's this company called Xythos.  They make a really good WebDAV server and client.  Their WebDAV server is written in Java but it's not insanely architected.  Instead it's very well done and using Jakarta Slide you can JRuby yourself a little Ruby lib that looks like Fileutils in about an hour.  It's also a very flexible server, and very conforming since most of the people who worked on the RFCs works for Xythos.

It's possible with Xythos to swap out nearly everything as well.  For example, if you need to use your crappy "rails acts_as_lamely_authenticated" authentication, then you can write your own auth filter for Xythos and it'll go and look in your database.  If you need to do something special to the files then you can do a filter for that (it's got a sample that uses Clam to do AV).  They also give you all the source to their (ugly) web front end for free so you can see how every operation is done, even the weirdo admin stuff.

It's a good product, and if you're dumb enough to work with WebDAV (since obviously you like Microsoft raping you over a barrel), then go check it out.

Good luck, I've seen WebDAV kill off nearly every Rails project that's come near it.  Not sure what it is, but it's like the black hole with a cache of gold in the center.

--
Zed A. Shaw
- Good: http://www.zedshaw.com/