[Mongrel] POST with huge HTTP body

Daniel Brahneborg basic70 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 08:00:20 EDT 2007

Hi,

I found the following page describing how to stream data from the
server to the client:

http://api.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActionController/Streaming.html

I want to do the opposite, streaming data from the client to the server,
letting the controller saving the data while it's being received.
In particular, I want to upload large files to the RailsDav
(http://www.liverail.net/railsdav) plugin, without having to store
the entire file in memory during the operation.

This seems to be a Mongrel problem, so I started looking at this plugin:

http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/upload_progress.html

How do I get Mongrel to store the incoming POST  data in a tempfile,
passing a handler to that file as the raw_post field in the Rails request?
Is it even possible?
How is the "request" parameter to the process() method related to the
"request" object in the Rails controllers?

/Daniel