[Mongrel] multi threaded theoretically useful?

Francis Cianfrocca garbagecat10 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 13:11:01 EDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Further question:
> would providing the option of having mongrel bind to UNIX sockets
> perhaps speed it? (i.e. bind to port 3000 and unix socket x).  Just a
> thought.  Probably not enough speed difference to matter, but perhaps
> useful for local processes and simple to implement. Thoughts?

Depending on the kernel, you may find Unix sockets to be less performant
than localhost TCP. The dominant effect on performance comes from getting
the network out of the picture. Beyond that, I've often found that
unix-domain I/O stacks don't seem to be as well-tuned as TCP stacks are. And
use localhost/tcp instead of an IP address on a network interface. On most
kernels, that saves you a trip through the network interface driver.