[Mongrel] Mongrel using way more memory on production than staging

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Oct 3 16:15:26 EDT 2007

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 20:52:20 +0200
Chris Taggart <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Zed A. Shaw wrote:
> The problem isn't 120M -- but that it seems to keep climbing until much
> instability ensues...
>
> That's possibly a leak, but I'm still a bit confused as to why the
> 64-bit server is using so much more... and whether I should maybe run
> the mongrel_cluster instances on 32-bit kernel (assuming that's
> possible).

I haven't tracked all the different things you've done, but have you tried:

1) Running with mongrel_rails -B and looking in the log/mongrel_debug/* files?  Specifically objects.log
2) Trying bleakhouse?
3) Running it on jruby?  See if you still have the leak there.  If you've got a leak under jruby then it's your code dude.

Apart from that, I've got no idea.  Last time I dealt with this crap with the horrible Ruby GC implementation the entire Ruby world took out torches and chased me down the street screaming that I was ruining their party be exposing how crap the code is.

But hey, that's just me.

--
Zed A. Shaw
- Good: http://www.zedshaw.com/