[Mongrel] Mongrel using way more memory on production than staging

Chris Taggart lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Oct 3 09:12:01 EDT 2007

Chris Taggart wrote:
> Wayne E. Seguin wrote:
>> This is something like what I use, modify to your own designs:
>> mkdir ~/src
>> package=ruby
>> cd ~/src && curl -O
>> ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/stable-snapshot.tar.gz
>> tar zxf stable-snapshot.tar.gz && cd ruby && ./configure
>> --prefix=/usr/local
>> --disable-pthread --with-readline-dir=/usr/local
>> make && sudo make install && cd ~/src
> OK. Will try a few things out tomorrow and report back.

Update on what I've tried/found out so far.

Set up a testbed xen server instance on the same box (AMD64x2) as my
mongrel clusters. It's not quite a direct comparison as I compiled Ruby
from source, whereas the staging server was installed from binaries via

I then ran stand alone mongrel in the same production environment with
the same data on both server, and threw various requests at it via curl.
The results are here:

but briefly:

-- on startup (before any requests have been made), the testbed (64-bit)
server uses 87% more memory than the staging one (78MB vs 42MB)

-- on the first request, both increase memory usage by 17%, and then
both gradually climb by varying percentages, though the testbed's mem
usage is always   80-95% more than the 32-bit staging server.

-- memory usage increases inconsistently, sometimes staying the same
when the requests are repeated, sometimes increasing. I'm wondering if
this could be a memory leak to do with caching (which might explain why
it wasn't showing up when I was httperf'ing the staging server).

There's obviously more work to be done here, but all comments and
suggestions are welcome. This is new territory for me, so I may be
missing something completely obvious.