[Mongrel] Mongrel using way more memory on production than staging. Any ideas why?

Alexey Verkhovsky alexey.verkhovsky at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:07:00 EDT 2007

> On the production box, pretty much immediately (and I'm talking about
> within one or two requests), the mongrels climb up to about 150-160MB.
> One the staging server, even when I'm hammering it with a benchmarking
> suite (have tried with httperf, and bench and crawl) the mongrels sit
> comfortably at about 60MB each.

It is the difference between x86_64 and i386, mostly.

Some of it may also be that you are not hitting Mongrel hard enough in
staging. An overloaded Mongrel with default --num-procs setting of
1024 should eventually allocate enough memory for 1024 request handler
threads, which takes even a skeleton Rails app above 60 Mb level.

--
Alexey Verkhovsky
CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]