[Mongrel] Mongrel install crash on win32

Jesper Rønn-jensen lists at ruby-forum.com
Tue Nov 27 07:34:11 EST 2007

Something suddenly went wrong in my ruby install.

When installing Mongrel on my Windows XP laptop, it incorrectly tries to
build it as a native extension. I don't even get the selection where I
can choose to install a compiled version.

I would appreciate any help/links or similar, as I frankly don't
understand what's going on and why I dont get the usual selection box.

C:\>gem install mongrel
ERROR:  Error installing mongrel:

c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install mongrel
creating Makefile

'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fastthread-1.0.1 for inspection.
Results logged to

PS. for further investigation I have attached the output from running
the gem install with --debug flag