[Mongrel] Mongrel+Apache 2.2 Proxy

Sebastian Haglund sebastian at haglund.se
Fri Nov 23 08:36:17 EST 2007

I'm running a rails (mongrel) based web service behind an apache proxy,
on windows 2003.
Sometimes I see a POST in the apache log that returned a 404 but nothing
about it in the rails log.
It doesn't happen every time, 9 out of 10 times it works just fine.

The post (is actually a put) comes from a .NET application uploading a
small xml-file.

The log message in apache looks like this

[21/Nov/2007:15:56:15 +0100] "POST /archivefiles/173688 HTTP/1.1" 404 -

.. and the vhost

<VirtualHost *:8080>
    #Fix for Apache bug 39499
    SetEnv force-proxy-request-1.0 1
    SetEnv proxy-nokeepalive 1

    XSendFile on
    XSendFileAllowAbove on
    RewriteEngine On

    # Check for maintenance file. Let apache load it if it exists
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/system/maintenance.html -f
    RewriteRule . /system/maintenance.html [L]

    # Let apache serve static files
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}%{REQUEST_URI} -f
    RewriteRule (.*) $1 [L]

    # Don't do forward proxying
    ProxyRequests Off

    # Enable reverse proxying
    <Proxy *>
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all

    # Pass other requests to mongrel instance
    ProxyPass / http://localhost:4003/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:4003/

    <Directory C:/rails>
        AllowOverride All
        Options FollowSymLinks
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all

Has anybody seen this and know what's wrong and/or a way around it?