[Mongrel] Win32 service question

cdr _ at whats-your.name
Tue Nov 20 07:04:21 EST 2007

> Csaba: You can run anything multithreaded on Windows by using Ruby
> Threads.

> > Second, I'd like to ask you if there's any way to make a simple mongrel
> > script run multithreaded?

you get threaded handlers for free, by default. you have to explicitly go out of your way to defeat this behavior.. grep -i mutex in the rails or camping handler to see how its done

> > Since win32 lacks fork, I don't know if I can make it process multiple
> > request simultaneously.

fork() is implemented in win32/process extension. not that youd want to use that, or anything,

i tried it once in a real-world script that would fork itself and spawn gcc children and it was very weird, to say the least (lots of return values were just corrupt garbled crap). compounded by running mingw's bash where things are wonky already.

but this doesnt matter, since mongrel's ruby isnt actually forking, apache-style, to enable concurrency...

if youre further curious, check out wyhaines' evented mongrel