[Mongrel] Best practice Ruby on Rails on Windows configuration

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 13:54:11 EST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 3:38 PM, Ball, Donald A Jr (Library)
<donald.ball at nashville.gov> wrote:
> > - If you're forced to IIS (Internet Information Server) it
> > seems latest IIS7 support FastCGI, so using libfcgi and
> > ruby-fcgi works out of the box
> I've tried out the FastCGI ISAPI module for IIS6 recently and still
> experienced no joy getting it to play nicely with rails. Do you happen
> to have any pointers to notes from anyone who's gotten IIS and rails to
> play well using FastCGI?

I was talking about IIS *7* ... clearly stated the version number :-)

There was a lot of improvement of FastCGI in IIS7

More information:

> Myself, I run three mongrel instances behind a pen load balancer and use
> the ISAPI Rewrite module to proxy it. It works great, but getting it up
> and running on a new machine takes a bit of time and effort, and no
> win32 McAdmin is ever going to be able to support it. Thus, I'm inclined
> to try to migrate to the IIS+FastCGI configuration as soon as it's
> viable.

I know your pain, the bootstrap process is a real pain, even for windows :-P

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi