[Mongrel] Best practice Ruby on Rails on Windows configuration

Ball, Donald A Jr (Library) donald.ball at nashville.gov
Wed Nov 14 13:38:33 EST 2007

> - If you're forced to IIS (Internet Information Server) it
> seems latest IIS7 support FastCGI, so using libfcgi and
> ruby-fcgi works out of the box

I've tried out the FastCGI ISAPI module for IIS6 recently and still
experienced no joy getting it to play nicely with rails. Do you happen
to have any pointers to notes from anyone who's gotten IIS and rails to
play well using FastCGI?

Myself, I run three mongrel instances behind a pen load balancer and use
the ISAPI Rewrite module to proxy it. It works great, but getting it up
and running on a new machine takes a bit of time and effort, and no
win32 McAdmin is ever going to be able to support it. Thus, I'm inclined
to try to migrate to the IIS+FastCGI configuration as soon as it's

- donald