[Mongrel] Best practice Ruby on Rails on Windows configuration

Ralf Vitasek neongrau at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 12:24:50 EST 2007

i don't really understand what you want to know.

 >> "main focus is on optimizing the requests, instead of improving
the amount of page requests"

that sounds more like code optimization in your rails app, when your
app doesn't perform well enough you have to tweak your code or
probably add more ram, faster disk and or a faster cpu. the deployment
or server configuration won't change that.

but if you want to know what software to use:

as an example i currently have a few windows installations with the
following setup

apache 2.2.4 with mod_sspi authenticatiing users via NTLM against an
Active Directory
and proxy balancing the requests to
6-12 mongrel_services
and a single DRb for Ferret searches running as a service for all
using a MS SQL 2005 DB on a dedicated server

the apache is configured to use memcache and bypass the proxy on all
requests towards /images /stylesheets and /javascripts to not bother
the mongrels for stuff that doesn't need any server processing

if any performance issues arise i can easily scale by adding more
mongrels on other machines.