[Mongrel] Please Don't Move Hosting (Was: Mongrel wiki?)

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 17:12:48 EST 2007

On Nov 10, 2007 7:00 PM, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:
> Yes, it's not about the cost of hosting at all.  Since I wrote Mongrel I can pretty much ask for hosting and people will donate it.  The "whoever" that controls rubyforge are people from rubycentral who have a huge stake in not being evil(ish) and I know most of them and trust them.  Nobody really knows the dude at devjavu.
<snipping long and worthy comments from Zed>

I must have to agree with Zed on this.

Even that Ezra is offering their "slice" of devjavu and even Rick
offers lighthouse power to the ticket system, we would be "bounded" to
external and core services that we don't control -- and the end of the
day, we will thank <your-deity-of-preference> for making these service
being alive one more day.

On this topic I'm a bit of paranoic: even I mostly trust open-source
hosting services (like googlecode or even rubyforge) I keep the
original repository locally and push changes to the mirror.

So I have always a full copy of the repository, but not only because
can work offline, but mostly they cannot guarantee me they will be
100% available (after all, is a free service).

Maybe we are going too far from the purpose? We already have some
infrastructure in place, maybe we could enhance or RFE to get more of
the solution.

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.