[Mongrel] Please Don't Move Hosting (Was: Mongrel wiki?)

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Sat Nov 10 17:00:58 EST 2007

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:25:44 -0500
"Evan Weaver" <evan at cloudbur.st> wrote:

> I don't think we're hurting for hosting; I think Zed is concerned
> about the host being controlled by only one person ultimately.
> Although, my opinion is, whoever controls Rubyforge controls the gems,
> so Rubyforge will always be the home of "real" mongrel. But it would
> be nice to leave the SVN in place.

Yes, it's not about the cost of hosting at all.  Since I wrote Mongrel I can pretty much ask for hosting and people will donate it.  The "whoever" that controls rubyforge are people from rubycentral who have a huge stake in not being evil(ish) and I know most of them and trust them.  Nobody really knows the dude at devjavu.

For example, let's say ruby central eats it and rubyforge bites the dust.  I can call David Black, Rich Kilmer, and others directly and beg them to get me a dump of everything that was there.  Rich and crew probably would warn everyone things were going to get bad and ask for help or offer to give people their projects.  They'd probably get money and donations from everyone who benefits from the service.  Rubyforge also has a vested interest in remaining neutral in any debates or disputes about project ownership.

Now, let's take devjavu.  I've never met the guy who runs it, don't know much about him, and he charges money for the service.  If his business implodes then he actually could consider the code sitting on his computers an asset.  I don't know how he runs his systems, where they're hosted, what he does with them, how secure he is, or even if he's a legit business.  I'm sure he's not an evil guy, but he's not on the same trust level as rubyforge by a long stretch.  I also don't know if he'd remain neutral in any project ownership disputes.

Another example was lighthouse.  I trust Rick like crazy, but I don't trust whether Rick's business will be around in 1 year.  If I hosted the Mongrel bug list there, I'm sure I could get the data back from Rick, but how would I resurrect the bug tracker?  I wouldn't have the source code as that's an asset.  I wouldn't have the expertise or time to set it up.  If Rick's business went down then we'd lose a huge service.

Additionally, rubyforge is a community effort.  Rather than move mongrel hosting off, why not talk with the maintainers and offer to pitch in some work to get the services you want setup and running smooth.  I'm sure they'd appreciate it and if not you can just setup the one wiki you want on another machine.

Zed A. Shaw
- Good: http://www.zedshaw.com/
- Evil: http://yearofevil.com/