[Mongrel] MySQL timeout value (was: mongrel - monit issue)

Steve Midgley public at misuse.org
Wed Nov 7 18:56:28 EST 2007

At 03:24 PM 11/7/2007, mongrel-users-request at rubyforge.org wrote:
> > Thanks for this Kirk.  Yep, I was using 14400.  I'm switching this
> > 2 weeks: 1209600 and we'll see if any further restarts are needed
> by
> > monit.
>I've always wondered why 14400 is the number that is always passed
>around when talking about extending the timeout period.  Maybe there
>is some db issue with a _really_ long timeout like 1209600?

This has been discussed a few times on list I think. I believe the
issue here is that you need the client end of the connection to timeout
AFTER the server end of the connection. Setting this to arbitrarily
large numbers will not do anything (afaik) b/c the server will time you
out well before then anyway, and force the client to re-initialize of
the pipe.

I think the goal here is to have the client time out *just* after the
server times outs - you never want the client thinking the server is
live when it's not (that's what causes the weird "mongrel/rails seems
hung" problem), but it's better to have both agree on the status of the