[Mongrel] Mongrel and memory usage

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 07:57:23 EST 2007

On 11/6/07, Pete DeLaurentis <pete at nextengine.com> wrote:

> Does Mongrel need to be multi-threaded at all if you're working with
> Rails applications?

> If all 8 mongrels are busy, I believe Lighty retries the cycle a few
> times.  So, who needs threads?  I'm guessing this is a naive
> question, but I'd appreciate it if you'd set me straight.

evented_mongrel still queues the request, but it does so without
creating any threads, so there isn't the thread related RAM growth.

> Once I get a breather in my release schedule, I plan to look at a
> switch to evented mongrel.  Performance benchmarks + community
> feedback looks very good.  But I still need to get a better grasp on
> how it works + the differences from standard mongrel.

My intention is that switching to evented_mongrel or
swiftiplied_mongrel is transparent from the perspective of the
application (or whatever is running inside a mongrel handler).

Kirk Haines