[Mongrel] Mongrel and memory usage

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 12:38:15 EST 2007

On 11/5/07, Alexey Verkhovsky <alexey.verkhovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/5/07, Pete DeLaurentis <pete at nextengine.com> wrote:
> > Along the lines of Thomas question, I've noticed that my mongrel
> > rails processes start at around 50 MB, and creep up to around 100 MB
>
> Set --num-procs lower than default 1024, and it won't be happening.

It depends.  One cause of that sort of creeping mem usage is having an
app that sees large numbers of concurrent threads, as you know, but
it's not the only cause.

If concurrent threads ARE a mem usage problem, one might try using
evented_mongrel out of the Swiftiply package.
http://swiftiply.swiftcore.org

Just run it in a test environment and see if it helps.  For some apps,
it makes a big difference in that thread related RAM creep.

Kirk Haines

P.S. Yes, I WILL have the patch to fix it for Mongrel > 1.0.1 today.
The end of my week/weekend got very busy with things that don't
involve computer screens.