[Mongrel] Mongrel and memory usage

Thomas Balthazar thomas.tmp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 11:06:01 EST 2007

On 11/5/07, Kirk Haines <wyhaines at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/5/07, Thomas Balthazar <thomas.tmp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm running a Rails application which must sort and manipulate a lot of
> data
> > which are loaded in memory.
> > The Rails app runs on 2 mongrel processes.
> > When I first load the app, both are 32Mb in memory.
> > After some days, both are between 200Mb and 300Mb.
> >
> > My question is : is there some kind of garbage collector in Mongrel?
> > I never see the two Mongrel processes memory footprint decrease.
> > Is it normal?
> Ruby is a garbage collected language.  Ruby has a conservative mark
> and sweep garbage collector.
> Memory usage like that is probably not a Mongrel issue (unless you are
> generating _very_ large responses in your application).  It's likely
> an issue with your code.  What version of Ruby are you using?  Are you
> using any extensions?
> Kirk Haines

Hello Kirk,

Thanks for your answer.
I'm using ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i486-linux].
The Rails app uses those plugins :
* acts_as_taggable_on_steroids
* attachment_fu
* exception_notification
* localization

Which kink of issues with my code could use that much memory?
If I load lots of records with Active Records, aren't they "unloaded" at
some times?

Thanks in advance for your help.