[Mongrel] Mongrel and memory usage

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 10:21:56 EST 2007

On 11/5/07, Thomas Balthazar <thomas.tmp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running a Rails application which must sort and manipulate a lot of data
> which are loaded in memory.
> The Rails app runs on 2 mongrel processes.
> When I first load the app, both are 32Mb in memory.
> After some days, both are between 200Mb and 300Mb.
> My question is : is there some kind of garbage collector in Mongrel?
> I never see the two Mongrel processes memory footprint decrease.
> Is it normal?

Ruby is a garbage collected language.  Ruby has a conservative mark
and sweep garbage collector.

Memory usage like that is probably not a Mongrel issue (unless you are
generating _very_ large responses in your application).  It's likely
an issue with your code.  What version of Ruby are you using?  Are you
using any extensions?

Kirk Haines