[Mongrel] can't configure mongrel_cluster to start on boot

Tiberiu Motoc tiberiu.motoc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 18:31:13 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

I've been working with Mongrel, Mongrel_cluster and Apache and it is great.
However, I can't get mongrel_cluster to start at boot time. I followed the
instructions from http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/mongrel_cluster.html (On
Boot Initialization Setup) and mongrel_cluster does not start after
rebooting the machine.

I made sure that the shebang line is correct and I also made sure that the
mongrel_cluster_ctl location is in the PATH variable. Just to be on the safe
side I created a symbolic link in /usr/bin and still no luck.

The next thing I did was to trace the mongrel_cluster script. There is
something strange about it, and I can't believe that nobody complained about
it yet: the script takes an argument (start, stop or restart), but the
instructions provided on the mongrel_cluster webpage do not pass any
argument(s) to it. So, how is the script supposed to start? I'm not an
expert on Linux admin, but is the chkconfig application supposed to pass
"start" to the script? What about when the machine gets shut down, where in
the script do we delete the mongrel pid files? (or worse, if it gets powered
off, and if we restart without deleting the pid files, then the script won't
even start the mongrel processes).

Anyway, those are small things that can be easily changed in the script, so
I hardcoded "start" in the script, and my script failed on the following
which mongrel_cluster_ctl >/dev/null || exit 0
I commented out the line and provided the full path to mongrel_cluster_ctl.
I dumped the $RETVAL into a log file (after calling mongrel_cluster_ctl) and
it was 137.

I don't know what else to do. I am logged in as admin, I successfully used
chkconfig to add Apache to the boot script, and if I run the script manually
- it works!