[Mongrel] Server timeouts

barsalou barjunk at attglobal.net
Fri Nov 2 18:26:27 EDT 2007

Pete, Quoting Pete DeLaurentis <pete at nextengine.com>:

> Yeah, all the foreign keys are indexed.  I'm also caching what I can
> in our ruby app's memory.
>
> It seems to be the database writes that are taking up a lot of the
> time.  The other offender are some multiple JOINs we're doing.
>
> I've ordered more processors for the database server, and am clearing
>  off a second machine so I can get a little MySQL cluster going.  Any
>  advice on this is welcome since I've never scaled a database server
> before.

I've never done that either...what about memcached....or that's already
similar to what you are doing in memory?

We use it on one of our non-rails apps and it seems to do a good job of
improving performance...I don't know or understand a huge amount about
it, but thought I would bring it up.

Maybe one of the "Smarter Folks" would be able to help out with that.

Mike B.

<snip previous conversation>