[Mongrel] Server timeouts

Pete DeLaurentis pete at nextengine.com
Fri Nov 2 14:38:30 EDT 2007

Yeah, all the foreign keys are indexed.  I'm also caching what I can
in our ruby app's memory.

It seems to be the database writes that are taking up a lot of the
time.  The other offender are some multiple JOINs we're doing.

I've ordered more processors for the database server, and am clearing
off a second machine so I can get a little MySQL cluster going.  Any
advice on this is welcome since I've never scaled a database server
before.

As the database gets faster, it will help reduce the timeouts.  But
demand + server load has a way of sneaking up on you.  I'm looking
for a way of making sure our server is less likely to timeout on
users when we run into system bottlenecks (now + in the future).

Thanks,
Pete