[Mongrel] Automatic Scaling

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 16:16:18 EDT 2007

On 10/23/07, Jeremy Wilkins <jeremy at ibexinternet.co.uk> wrote:

> > How fast is your app?  How many mongrels do you figure you need to
> > handle that volume?
>
> Hopefully very fast - I'm aiming to get it down to 1 or 2 database
> queries per (ajax) request, with just a small amount to text being
> sent back. We're currently planning this part of the so don't have
> any stats yet. My concern is that it will probably be being hosted on
> our existing (heavily loaded) PHP server till the clients needs
> enough instances to justify their own server.

It's hard to guage when you are sharing machine cycles with a heavily
loaded PHP app, but, depending on what those queries really do, 20 r/s
should be trivial to get with modest hardware and a tiny number of
mongrels (just a single mongrel is likely practical for a load that
low).

> Sounds very interesting - I'm pretty new to all this but this seems
> to be one area where FastCGI (and I presume SCGI) has significant
> advantage over the mongrel cluster approach. How long do you
> anticipate it will take to develop your solution (just curious - I
> know its a when its done thing).

It's part of the Swiftiply 0.7.0 feature set.  I'm already late on
when I wanted to release it, but realistically, it's probably another
month or so away.

Kirk Haines