[Mongrel] Mongrel 1.1

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 11:43:02 EDT 2007

On 11/1/07, will at hotgazpacho.com <will at hotgazpacho.com> wrote:
> I'm curious to know why the URL classifier was moved from C code to
> Ruby code. I am under the impression that Ruby code is often much
> slower than C extensions. I'm also under the impression that the URL
> classifier is somewhere that speed would be desirable.

C code will generally be faster than Ruby code, yes.

The thing with the classifier is that for small numbers of urls to
classify, the pure ruby solution is as fast or faster than the trie
based C classifier, and the decision was made that the simplification
represented by switching to a pure ruby solution there was a
beneficial tradeoff, since most people do not have more than a dozen
handlers registered with a mongrel instance, so for most people there
will be no performance loss.

Kirk Haines