[Mongrel] Mongrel + apache 2.2 + proxy error

Matt Su lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Nov 1 05:58:39 EDT 2007

I have a setup with apache 2.2.6 proxying requests to a cluster of 5
mongrels.  Occassionally, I receive the following error in the logs:

[Tue Oct 30 12:00:28 2007] [error] (70007)The timeout specified has
expired: proxy: pass request body failed to (
from ()
[Tue Oct 30 12:00:28 2007] [error] [client] Handler for
proxy-server returned invalid result code 70007

It may be worth noting that the Mongrels are dealing with potentially
long running HTTP POSTs: they come from Mobile Clients uploading around
2 -3 MB of data, which can take several minutes.  It is my understanding
that a Mongrel will not be tied up whilst the upload is being done as
Mongrel will create a thread to handle the upload, stream it to a
TempFile, and then lock rails.  The rails action that deals with the
file typically takes 1/2 second to 1 second.  Looking at the error
message, it looks like Mongrel may be ignoring the request or Apache is
Timing Out whilst forwarding the request to Mongrel.

Can anyone help in decrypting what this error message may mean?

Thanks in advance!