[Mongrel] swifty fly?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Tue May 22 00:58:13 EDT 2007

On May 21, 2007, at 5:38 PM, Zed A. Shaw wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2007 20:17:27 -0400
> Faisal N Jawdat <faisal at faisal.com> wrote:
>> On May 21, 2007, at 7:40 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:
>>> I don't know if Zed will "bless it", (the evented_mongrel patch).
>> If Zed thinks it's probably a reasonable thing to use even if he
>> doesn't want to incorporate it, it's probably a reasonable thing to
>> use.  If Zed looks at it, gags, and points out that the entire system
>> will break as of Mongrel 1.02, it's probably a bad idea to go near.
>> There's a range in between, obviously...
> That's not really my attitude or approach.  Mongrel will stay core and
> usable in the way it is now.  The thing I like about Mongrel is it's
> simple and flexible enough that people can *finally* take charge and
> just write what they need for their situation rather than rely on me
> (or bitch and whine that I won't implement their great features :-)
> My approach is, if it works, and you're comfortable with the code,
> then
> go for it.  The more solutions the better, as long as there's good
> information so people can make great decisions.  In fact, I try to
> just
> be upfront about my opinions and research on these solutions as they
> adapt so that people can make educated decisions.
> But, I also tell people never believe the hype.  Always, always,
> always, go test things people tell you and double check what they say.
> Then, don't believe your own tests in the same way you don't believe
> what people tell you.  Really make an effort to validate claims every
> time you are doing something new.
> --
> Zed A. Shaw

	I agree that this all does not belong in Mongrel core. Mongrel core
is already tight as hell. That's what makes it possible to add
features you want by building on top of mongrel. Merb gets really
good perf because it's tightly integrated with mongrel. The event
driven stuff does bench really well but like Zed said, don't just
blindly go using shit you read of teh intarwebs ;) Test it for
yourself and decide.

-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist
-- ez at engineyard.com