[Mongrel] swifty fly?

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Mon May 21 20:38:55 EDT 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007 20:17:27 -0400
Faisal N Jawdat <faisal at faisal.com> wrote:

> On May 21, 2007, at 7:40 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:
> > I don't know if Zed will "bless it", (the evented_mongrel patch).
> If Zed thinks it's probably a reasonable thing to use even if he
> doesn't want to incorporate it, it's probably a reasonable thing to
> use.  If Zed looks at it, gags, and points out that the entire system
> will break as of Mongrel 1.02, it's probably a bad idea to go near.
> There's a range in between, obviously...

That's not really my attitude or approach.  Mongrel will stay core and
usable in the way it is now.  The thing I like about Mongrel is it's
simple and flexible enough that people can *finally* take charge and
just write what they need for their situation rather than rely on me
(or bitch and whine that I won't implement their great features :-)

My approach is, if it works, and you're comfortable with the code, then
go for it.  The more solutions the better, as long as there's good
information so people can make great decisions.  In fact, I try to just
be upfront about my opinions and research on these solutions as they
adapt so that people can make educated decisions.

But, I also tell people never believe the hype.  Always, always,
always, go test things people tell you and double check what they say.
Then, don't believe your own tests in the same way you don't believe
what people tell you.  Really make an effort to validate claims every
time you are doing something new.

Zed A. Shaw
- Good: http://www.zedshaw.com/
- Evil: http://yearofevil.com/