[Mongrel] swifty fly?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon May 21 19:40:42 EDT 2007

On 5/21/07, Faisal N Jawdat <faisal at faisal.com> wrote:
> I'm very interested in this thing but am not going to touch it until
> Zed blesses it.

I don't know if Zed will "bless it", (the evented_mongrel patch).

Event-Driven socket programming is a good thing, but ruby support for it isn't.

As far as my tests goes, a few things float into the "nebulossa"
regarding re-entrant points in Ruby VM (the whole event-machine).

I use Events as programming model in lots of projects, including ones
with sockets, but none of them in ruby.

Guess Zed evaluated the same problem when creating Mongrel.

> I'll probably also wind up benchmarking it against
> everything else (nginx, lighty 1.5, apache), but if someone else does
> it first please post here and all that.

Benchmarks? statistics? If anyone do that please:

- Run the test across the network, not locally (to actually use the
network card).
- Don't run these a few minutes, but a week will provide a good result
of application behavior across time.
- Measure everything, at least 5 times prior calculating "means" ;-)

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi