[Mongrel] swifty fly?

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Mon May 21 19:11:39 EDT 2007

On 5/21/07, Andrew Arrow <andrew at geni.com> wrote:
> I heard about a new mongrel plugin or version that's single threaded and
> uses non-blocking IO with events.  It's called something like "swifty
> fly".  Anyone have a link for it?

Swiftiply itself is a clustering proxy server for web apps with a
twist; it runs as a server, but the backends are clients to it,
instead of standalone servers.  It is bundled with two hotpatches to
mongrel to make two different flavors of mongrel.

One is swiftiplied_mongrel.  It is an event based mongrel that is
intended to be used with Swiftiply.

The other is evented_mongrel.  This was sort of a step on the way to
implementing swiftiplied_mongrel, and is just a mongrel that runs in
an event loop instead of using threads.

The intention with both is that the patches are transparent to any
Mongrel handlers, so the Rails or Camping or Merb or Ramaze or
whatever handlers just work.

Kirk Haines