[Mongrel] esi cache server built on mongrel

Todd Fisher todd.fisher at gmail.com
Tue May 15 13:10:28 EDT 2007

Hi all,

   I just wanted to share a project I've been working on now for a few
months.  It's still far from complete, but has already been very useful for
me and my coworkers.  I'm calling it mongrel-esi.  ESI stands for Edge Side
Include.  The specs live here, http://www.w3.org/TR/esi-lang.  I currently
only have support for <esi:include, <esi:try, <esi:attempt, and
<esi:except.    Also, it supports HTTP_COOKIES, so fragments can be
conditionally cached by a cookie.

I have implemented a few different parsers for ESI, one using hpricot to
process the whole document and another that uses Transfer-Encoding: chunked
to stream the fragments back to the browser as they are available.

I'm hoping this might be useful to others and am interested to get
The project page is here => http://code.google.com/p/mongrel-esi/