[Mongrel] Mongrel dying daily with Ruby 1.8.5

veeraa bose veeraa.1 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 00:04:15 EDT 2007

Dear  ALL,
I saw this in article from mongrel faq,

Q: Mongrel stops working if it's left alone for a long time.

If you find that Mongrel stops working after a long idle time and you're
using MySQL then you're hitting a bug in the MySQL driver that doesn't
properly timeout connections. What happens is the MySQL *server* side of the
connection times out and closes, but the MySQL *client* doesn't detect this
and just sits there.

What you have to do is set:

ActiveRecord::Base.verification_timeout = 14400

Or to any value that is lower than the MySQL server's
*interactive_timeout*setting. This will make sure that ActiveRecord
checks the connection often
enough to reset the connection..
Could anybody please tell me  in which  file I have to update this
"ActiveRecord::Base.verification_timeout = 14400"

Thanks and regards