[Mongrel] mongrel becoming unresponsive

Miles Egan miles at pixar.com
Mon May 7 12:20:25 EDT 2007

On May 7, 2007, at 9:06 AM, Pete DeLaurentis wrote:
> Thanks for the tips Miles.  One of them really hit home:
> I love writing to stdout, and it's all over the place in my app.
> It's great because you can run your scripts / apps as foreground and
> get a live trace, or daemonized and it goes to the log file.  Your
> warning on this one sounds like the voice of experience, and I
> believe it.  But I'd like to understand the details.
> Any ideas why this is a dangerous thing to do?

I gather from browsing this list that it interferes with Ruby's
threads and non-blocking i/o but I'm sure somebody on the list can
give you a better explanation.  I'd recommend using the logging
features and just keeping an active tail -f on the log.

"If money played an instrument it would be the saxophone." - Achewood