[Mongrel] mongrel becoming unresponsive

Pete DeLaurentis pete at nextengine.com
Mon May 7 10:44:35 EDT 2007

That's interesting Scott.  I was running Ruby 1.8.4, and first
noticed the problem when I upgraded to 1.8.6.  I did some other
things at that same time though... I also added memcached (which I
connect to in environment.rb).

I recently tried having monit call a simple test controller / action
every 2 minutes on each mongrel.  The controller doesn't access the
DB or memcache... it just renders "hello world" to the HTML.
Shouldn't help... but it does.

So far so good, the mongrels have stayed responsive for the last
couple days.  Based on the fact that this fixed things, I'm thinking
it's some kind of timeout issue within mongrel.

-Pete