[Mongrel] Tell me why my Shoutcase handler sucks!

Carl Lerche carl.lerche at gmail.com
Fri May 4 22:59:27 EDT 2007

So, I want to build the greatest online radio ever! (for my, currently
crappy, faderwave.net radio station. Right now, I'm running Icecast
straight up. The only problem is that managing different DJs and
keeping them off the air when they aren't supposed to be there is a
pain. There also is not one single management package that does
everything. My current system is a hacked together mess.

So, I want to build a unified ruby based solution. No, I'm not going
to try to replace Icecast with a hacked pure ruby version, but I am
going to try to setup a proxy for DJs to connect to where I can manage
every small bit.

To do all that, I really have to understand how Icecast works. So, I
hacked together a mongrel handler that can accept broadcasting clients
and send the stream to listeners... except I don't really know what
I'm doing. So, I would appreciate it if you could look over the code
and tell me why it sucks and how to improve it. It's really short,
under 100 lines with comments.

Of course, this is just a really rough solution that I hacked together
to experiment with interfacing with broadcasting clients and audio
players. Anyway, here it is:

EPA Rating: 3000 Lines of Code / Gallon (of coffee)