[Mongrel] mongrel_service fails to get "service.exe" from ppid?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 23:13:53 EDT 2007

Ok, a follow up on this issue:

> [...]
> >
> > Yes, as same as Win32,
> > "services.exe" is the parent process of "svchost.exe", "snmp.exe" ,
> > "mysqld-nt.exe", "VMwareService.exe", etc.
> > and only "services.exe" and "svchost.exe" is 64-bit image.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > The result is :
> >  this process (PID, name): 2192, proc_info.exe
> >  parent process (PID, name): 3024, <unknown>
> >

> > "<unknown>" is the error or the warning word returned by
> > "_process_name" function of ServiceFB.
> > and "_process_name" function uses Win32API "HANDLE" typedef via FreeBasic libs,
> > and the size of HANDLE of Win32API differs from the other one of Win64API.

Ok, guess I have found the problem, quoting msdn article [1]:

"If the specified process is a 64-bit process and the caller is a
32-bit process, this call will fail. Note that you can use the
QueryFullProcessImageName function to retrieve the full name of an
executable image for both 32- and 64-bit processes from a 32-bit

[1] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682489.aspx

BUT, there is always a "but"...

QueryFullProcessImageName is only available in Server 2003 or Vista...
which will be incompatible with XP... since xp psapi.dll don't
implement it.

I'll try to figure some workaround on this matter.

This is actually a "cross-platform" issue, between Win32 and WOW64 :-P

Could you test the attached file?

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.