[Mongrel] Daemonizing a camping server

Dimitri Aivaliotis aglarond at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 17:36:53 EDT 2007

On 3/28/07, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:

> Well, everyone else seems to be getting PID files no problem

This was my clue here.  It seems that everyone else is using
mongrel_rails - I'm not.  I'm trying to setup Mongrel::Configurator to
run just mongrel.  The builder example threw me off because it will
not generate a pid file, no matter what system I run it on.  I've
attached a patch that fixes this.  Could you consider applying it?

The solution is to pass :pid_file to Mongrel::Configurator.new and not
daemonize, as indicated in the example.  You also need to explicitly
call write_pid_file because it's not actually called anywhere within
Mongrel::Configurator itself (looking at mongrel_rails helped here).

Thanks,
- Dimitri