[Mongrel] Mongrel Service won't start on windows

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 16:07:27 EDT 2007

On 3/29/07, Matthew McKnight <matt.mcknight at gmail.com> wrote:
> 64bit Intel 8 CPU server
> Windows 2003 Server
> Service set to run as LocalSystem, doesn't work as user account either
>
> The error we see is:
> "Service failed to start in a timely..."
> Which I have seen in the past email trails as working

In the past? under which configuration? Ruby version, same os, which gems?

> The app works from mongrel_rails start and from  mongrel_service console -N
> servicename -p 3000 -c c:\rails_apps\appname -e production

the actual command line should be:

mongrel_service console -c C:\rails_apps\appname -e production -p 3000

No service name parameters is needed.

> We upgraded to Mongrel 1.0.1, Mongrel Service 0.3.1
>
> It looks like updates to win32-process and win32-service came with the gem
> updates for those. Which versions are good to go with
> mongrel_service-0.3.1-mswin32?

Only needed by mongrel_service is win32-service (latest guess is 0.5.2).

> This is working on our test and development servers, which are both VMWare
> sessions.
>
> I currently have a pack of mongrels running in command line windows under
> our sysadmin's user account- any ideas what to do?

First, start a debug session with psexec [1] with lowered privileges
as current user:

psexec -l cmd.exe

In this new console, chdir to c:\rails_app\appname and start mongrel with:

mongrel_rails start -e production -p 3000

Check the info it dumps to the screen. If it worked, then is not a LUA
bug but something else.

Also will be useful the servicefb.log and mongrel_service.log files
located in your ruby\bin folder.

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/psexec.mspx
--
Luis Lavena