[Mongrel] Machine reboot - monit fails to start mongrels

Joey Geiger jgeiger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 11:05:47 EDT 2007

You can use the new mongrel_cluster gem to startup your mongrels one
at a time, and it will also clear any stale pid files.

Here's an example of part of my monitrc that uses the cluster start.

###
# monitor mongrel four
###
check process mongrel-8003
  with pidfile /var/run/mongrel_cluster/mongrel.8003.pid
  group mongrel
  alert monit at website.com only on { connection, resource }

  start program = "/usr/bin/ruby /usr/bin/mongrel_rails cluster::start --only 80
03 --clean  -C /etc/mongrel_cluster/website_mongrel_cluster.yml"

  stop program = "/usr/bin/ruby /usr/bin/mongrel_rails cluster::stop --only 8003
 -C /etc/mongrel_cluster/website_mongrel_cluster.yml"

  if totalmem > 50.0 MB for 5 cycles then restart
  if cpu is greater than 60% for 2 cycles then alert
  if cpu > 80% for 5 cycles then restart

  if failed url
    http://localhost:8003/monit/index
    and content == 'success'