[Mongrel] mongrel_service fails to get "service.exe" from ppid?

blindance at gmail.com blindance at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 08:00:06 EDT 2007

Konnichiwa Mongrel users,

mongrel_service cannot run as a windows service under my environment,
with the windows message :
"error 1053 : The service did not respond to the start or control
request in a timely fashion."

>From a part of "ServiceFB.log" at c:/ruby/bin,
mongrel_service failed to get the process name of "service.exe".

>ServiceController.RunMode()
>CurrentPID: 540
>ParentPID: 716
>Parent Name: <unknown>
>ServiceController.RunMode() done

and a part of "gem list" is ;
>mongrel (1.0.1)
>mongrel_service (0.3.1)
>rails (1.2.3, 1.2.2)
>win32-service (0.5.2)

I guess that the reason is my environment a bit complex and weird,
* Windows XP Professional x64 Version2003 SP1
* over VMWare Server 1.0.1
*   over Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64

In fact,
I've confirmed that the mongrel_service and my webapp run well as a
windows service under Windows XP 32bit edition,
and both of
> mongrel_rails start
> mongrel_service console single -c [path/to/mywebapp] -p 3000 -e development
run correctry even on such win64 stacks.

Can anyone shed any light?