[Mongrel] Mongrel Performance Tuning questions

Benjamin Jackson bhjackson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 17:13:38 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Starting out with load testing for one of my rails apps and am pretty
confused about what the 'best' way to do this is. I read the tuning
article at http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/how_many_mongrels.html
but am getting some weird numbers from the tests recommended at the

httperf --server www.theserver.com --port 80 --uri /tested --num-conns
<10 second count>
httperf --server www.theserver.com --port 80 --uri /tested --num-conns
<10 second count> --rate <reported req/sec>

I'm running this with 1 mongrel behind nginx with 6 workers. Serving
up static files seems fine, about 50 reqs/sec with 240 requests at a
rate of 120 for a small gif.

When running the first line, I started with 10 connections to my rails
page, which ran around 7-8 seconds (1.4 reqs/s). With 20 connections
it was up to 29 (0.7 reqs/s). Something seems wrong here.

Tried some heavier loads. With 100 requests and a rate of 50 it's at
20 seconds and 4.9 reqs/s. With 240 requests and a rate of 120 I get
54 seconds and 4.4 reqs/s.

I tested with 2 mongrels and brought the last test up to 25.4
reqs/sec, but AFAIK one mongrel should be able to handle up to 120,
right? Any and all advice will be much appreciated. Thanks,